Gospel of Luke 19:40 in multiple versions / translations
English Bible Translations
40. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
40. And he answered and said, I tell you that, if these shall hold their peace, the stones will cry out.
40. And he said in answer, I say to you, if these men keep quiet, the very stones will be crying out.
40. And he answering said to them, I say unto you, If these shall be silent, the stones will cry out.
40. And he answered and said to them, I tell you, that if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
40. and he answering said to them, `I say to you, that, if these shall be silent, the stones will cry out!'
German Bible Translations
40. Er antwortete und sprach zu ihnen: Ich sage euch: Wo diese werden schweigen, so werden die Steine schreien.
40. Und er antwortete und sprach: Ich sage euch, wenn diese schweigen, so werden die Steine schreien!
French Bible Translations
40. Il répondit: «Je vous le dis, si eux se taisent, les pierres crieront!»
40. Et il répondit: Je vous le dis, s’ils se taisent, les pierres crieront!
40. Et répondant, il leur dit: Je vous dis que si ceux-ci se taisent, les pierres crieront.
40. Et Jésus répondant, leur dit : je vous dis que si ceux-ci se taisent, les pierres mêmes crieront.
40. Et il répondit et leur dit: Je vous dis que si ceux-ci se taisent, les pierres crieront.
Versions with Strong CodesLuke 19 / KJV_Strong
40. And[G2532] he answered[G611] and said[G2036] unto them,[G846]
Strong Code definitions
G2532 kai/kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.
G611 apokrinomai/ap-ok-ree'-nom-ahee from G575 and krino; to conclude for oneself, i.e. (by implication) to respond; by Hebraism (compare 6030) to begin to speak (where an address is expected):--answer. see G575 see H6030
G2036 epo/ep'-o a primary verb (used only in the definite past tense, the others being borrowed from G2046, 4483, and 5346); to speak or say (by word or writing):--answer, bid, bring word, call, command, grant, say (on), speak, tell. Compare 3004. see G2046 see G4483 see G5346 see G3004
G846 autos/ow-tos' from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of G109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which. Compare 848. see G109 see G1438 see G848
G3004 lego/leg'-o a primary verb; properly, to "lay" forth, i.e. (figuratively) relate (in words (usually of systematic or set discourse; whereas G2036 and 5346 generally refer to an individual expression or speech respectively; while 4483 is properly to break silence merely, and 2980 means an extended or random harangue)); by implication, to mean:--ask, bid, boast, call, describe, give out, name, put forth, say(-ing, on), shew, speak, tell, utter. see G2036 see G5346 see G4483 see G2980
G3754 hoti/hot'-ee neuter of G3748 as conjunction; demonstrative, that (sometimes redundant); causative, because:--as concerning that, as though, because (that), for (that), how (that), (in) that, though, why. see G3748
G1437 ean/eh-an' from G1487 and 302; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.; often used in connection with other particles to denote indefiniteness or uncertainty:--before, but, except, (and) if, (if) so, (what-, whither-)soever, though, when (-soever), whether (or), to whom, (who-)so(-ever). See 3361. see G1487 see G302 see G3361
G3778 houtos/hoo'-tos, including nom 3778] (houtos/hoo'-tos, including nominative masculine plural) haute how'-tay, and nominative feminine plural hautai how'-tahee from the article 3588 and 846; the he (she or it), i.e. this or that (often with article repeated):--he (it was that), hereof, it, she, such as, the same, these, they, this (man, same, woman), which, who. see G846 see G3588
G4623 siopao/see-o-pah'-o from siope (silence, i.e. a hush; properly, muteness, i.e. involuntary stillness, or inability to speak; and thus differing from G4602, which is rather a voluntary refusal or indisposition to speak, although the terms are often used synonymously); to be dumb (but not deaf also, like 2974 properly); figuratively, to be calm (as quiet water):--dumb, (hold) peace. see G4602
G3588 ho/ho, including the feminine to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.
G3037 lithos/lee'-thos apparently a primary word; a stone (literally or figuratively):--(mill-, stumbling-)stone.
G2896 krazo/krad'-zo a primary verb; properly, to "croak" (as a raven) or scream, i.e. (genitive case) to call aloud (shriek, exclaim, intreat):--cry (out).
Prédications où le verset / chapitre de la Bible sont analysésLes Paraboles #5: Que nos assurances, ne deviennent pas de l’auto-suffisance! – Luc 8:9-14
Related Sermons discussing this verse or the Bible chapter Gospel of Luke 19Parables #6: My neighbor is near to me – Luke 10:25-37
Parables #5: Let our assurances not become self-sufficient! – Luke 19
Parables #4: A Gold Coin to Seize – Luke 19
see also: Bible Key Verses