Gospel of Luke 19:4 in multiple versions / translations
English Bible Translations
4. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
4. And he ran on before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
4. And he went quickly in front of them and got up into a tree to see him, for he was going that way.
4. And running on before, he got up into a sycamore that he might see him, for he was going to pass that [way].
4. And he ran before, and climbed up upon a sycamore-tree to see him; for he was to pass that way.
4. and having run forward before, he went up on a sycamore, that he may see him, because through that [way] he was about to pass by.
German Bible Translations
4. Und er lief voraus und stieg auf einen Maulbeerbaum, auf daß er ihn sähe: denn allda sollte er durchkommen.
4. Da lief er voraus und stieg auf einen Maulbeerbaum, damit er ihn sähe; denn dort sollte er vorbeikommen.
French Bible Translations
4. Il courut en avant et monta sur un sycomore pour voir Jésus, parce qu'il devait passer par là.
4. Il courut en avant, et monta sur un sycomore pour le voir, parce qu’il devait passer par là.
4. Il courut en avant, et monta sur un sycomore pour le voir, parce qu'il devait passer par là.
4. Et courant en avant, il monta sur un sycomore pour le voir; car il allait passer là.
4. C'est pourquoi il accourut devant, et monta sur un sycomore pour le voir; car il devait passer par là.
4. C'est pourquoi il courut devant, et monta sur un sycomore pour le voir, parce qu'il devait passer par là.
Versions with Strong CodesLuke 19 / KJV_Strong
4. And[G2532] he ran[G4390] before,[G1715] and climbed up[G305] into[G1909] a sycamore tree[G4809] to[G2443] see[G1492] him:[G846] for[G3754] he was[G3195] to pass[G1330] that[G1565] way.
Strong Code definitions
G2532 kai/kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.
G1909 epi/ep-ee' a primary preposition; properly, meaning superimposition (of time, place, order, etc.), as a relation of distribution (with the genitive case), i.e. over, upon, etc.; of rest (with the dative case) at, on, etc.; of direction (with the accusative case) towards, upon, etc.:--about (the times), above, after, against, among, as long as (touching), at, beside, X have charge of, (be-, (where-))fore, in (a place, as much as, the time of, to), (because) of, (up-)on (behalf of), over, (by, for) the space of, through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), with. In compounds it retains essentially the same import, at, upon, etc. (literally or figuratively).
G2443 hina/hin'-ah probably from the same as the former part of G1438 (through the demonstrative idea; compare 3588); in order that (denoting the purpose or the result):--albeit, because, to the intent (that), lest, so as, (so) that, (for) to. Compare 3363. see G1438 see G3588 see G3363
G1492 eido/i'-do a primary verb; used only in certain past tenses, the others being borrowed from the equivalent 3700 and 3708; properly, to see (literally or figuratively); by implication, (in the perfect tense only) to know:--be aware, behold, X can (+ not tell), consider, (have) know(-ledge), look (on), perceive, see, be sure, tell, understand, wish, wot. Compare 3700. see G3700&volume=KJV_strong' target='_self' >G3700 see G3708 see G3700&volume=KJV_strong' target='_self' >G3700
G846 autos/ow-tos' from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of G109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which. Compare 848. see G109 see G1438 see G848
G3754 hoti/hot'-ee neuter of G3748 as conjunction; demonstrative, that (sometimes redundant); causative, because:--as concerning that, as though, because (that), for (that), how (that), (in) that, though, why. see G3748
G3195 mello/mel'-lo a strengthened form of G3199 (through the idea of expectation); to intend, i.e. be about to be, do, or suffer something (of persons or things, especially events; in the sense of purpose, duty, necessity, probability, possibility, or hesitation):--about, after that, be (almost), (that which is, things, + which was for) to come, intend, was to (be), mean, mind, be at the point, (be) ready, + return, shall (begin), (which, that) should (after, afterwards, hereafter) tarry, which was for, will, would, be yet. see G3199
G1330 dierchomai/dee-er'-khom-ahee from G1223 and 2064; to traverse (literally):--come, depart, go (about, abroad, everywhere, over, through, throughout), pass (by, over, through, throughout), pierce through, travel, walk through. see G1223 see G2064
G1565 ekeinos/ek-i'-nos from G1563; that one (or (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed:--he, it, the other (same), selfsame, that (same, very), X their, X them, they, this, those. See also 3778. see G1563 see G3778
Prédications où le verset / chapitre de la Bible sont analysésLes Paraboles #5: Que nos assurances, ne deviennent pas de l’auto-suffisance! – Luc 8:9-14
Related Sermons discussing this verse or the Bible chapter Gospel of Luke 19Parables #6: My neighbor is near to me – Luke 10:25-37
Parables #5: Let our assurances not become self-sufficient! – Luke 19
Parables #4: A Gold Coin to Seize – Luke 19
see also: Bible Key Verses