Acts 12:23 in multiple versions / translations
English Bible Translations
23. And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
23. And immediately an angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
23. And straight away the angel of the Lord sent a disease on him, because he did not give the glory to God: and his flesh was wasted away by worms, and so he came to his end.
23. And immediately an angel of [the] Lord smote him, because he did not give the glory to God, and he expired, eaten of worms.
23. And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten by worms, and died.
23. and presently there smote him a messenger of the Lord, because he did not give the glory to God, and having been eaten of worms, he expired.
German Bible Translations
23. Alsbald schlug ihn der Engel des HERRN, darum daß er die Ehre nicht Gott gab; und ward gefressen von den Würmern und gab den Geist auf.
23. Alsbald aber schlug ihn ein Engel des Herrn, weil er Gott nicht die Ehre gab; und von Würmern zerfressen, verschied er.
French Bible Translations
23. Un ange du Seigneur le frappa immédiatement parce qu'il n'avait pas donné gloire à Dieu. Il mourut rongé par des vers.
23. Au même instant, un ange du Seigneur le frappa, parce qu’il n’avait pas donné gloire à Dieu. Et il expira, rongé des vers.
23. Au même instant, un ange du Seigneur le frappa, parce qu'il n'avait pas donné gloire à Dieu. Et il expira, rongé des vers.
23. Et à l'instant un ange du Seigneur le frappa, parce qu'il n'avait pas donné la gloire à Dieu; et, étant rongé par les vers, il expira.
23. Et à l'instant un Ange du Seigneur le frappa, parce qu'il n'avait point donné gloire à Dieu; et il fut rongé des vers, et rendit l'esprit.
23. Mais à l'instant un ange du Seigneur le frappa, parce qu'il n'avait pas donné gloire à Dieu; et il mourut rongé des vers.
Versions with Strong CodesActs 12 / KJV_Strong
23. And[G1161] immediately[G3916] the angel[G32] of the Lord[G2962] smote[G3960] him,[G846] because[G473] [G3739] he gave[G1325] not[G3756] God[G2316] the[G3588] glory:[G1391] and[G2532] he was[G1096] eaten of worms,[G4662] and gave up the ghost.[G1634]
Strong Code definitions
G1161 de/deh a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).
G2962 kurios/koo'-ree-os from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir.
G846 autos/ow-tos' from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of G109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which. Compare 848. see G109 see G1438 see G848
G473 anti/an-tee' a primary particle; opposite, i.e. instead or because of (rarely in addition to):-for, in the room of. Often used in composition to denote contrast, requital, substitution, correspondence, etc.
G3739 hos/hos, including feminine ho ho probably a primary word (or perhaps a form of the article 3588); the relatively (sometimes demonstrative) pronoun, who, which, what, that:-one, (an-, the) other, some, that, what, which, who(m, -se), etc. See also 3757. see G3588 see G3757
G1325 didomi/did'-o-mee a prolonged form of a primary verb (which is used as an alternative in most of the tenses); to give (used in a very wide application, properly, or by implication, literally or figuratively; greatly modified by the connection):-adventure, bestow, bring forth, commit, deliver (up), give, grant, hinder, make, minister, number, offer, have power, put, receive, set, shew, smite (+ with the hand), strike (+ with the palm of the hand), suffer, take, utter, yield.
G3756 ou/oo, also (before a vowel ouch ookh a primary word; the absolute negative (compare 3361) adverb; no or not:--+ long, nay, neither, never, no (X man), none, (can-)not, + nothing, + special, un(-worthy), when, + without, + yet but. See also 3364, 3372. see G3361 see G3364 see G3372
G2316 theos/theh'-os of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very:--X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward). see G3588
G3588 ho/ho, including the feminine to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.
G2532 kai/kahee apparently, a primary particle, having a copulative and sometimes also a cumulative force; and, also, even, so then, too, etc.; often used in connection (or composition) with other particles or small words:--and, also, both, but, even, for, if, or, so, that, then, therefore, when, yet.
G1096 ginomai/ghin'-om-ahee a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being), used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.):--arise, be assembled, be(-come, -fall, -have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, be divided, draw, be ended, fall, be finished, follow, be found, be fulfilled, + God forbid, grow, happen, have, be kept, be made, be married, be ordained to be, partake, pass, be performed, be published, require, seem, be showed, X soon as it was, sound, be taken, be turned, use, wax, will, would, be wrought.
Prédications où le verset / chapitre de la Bible sont analysésActes #15: Dieu souverain sur toutes les vies
Related Sermons discussing this verse or the Bible chapter Acts 12Acts #15: God is sovereign over all life (Acts 12); Patrice Berger
see also: Bible Key Verses