Acts 12:5 in multiple versions / translations
English Bible Translations
5. Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
5. Peter therefore was kept in the prison: but prayer was made earnestly of the church unto God for him.
5. So Peter was kept in prison: but the church made strong prayer to God for him.
5. Peter therefore was kept in the prison; but unceasing prayer was made by the assembly to God concerning him.
5. Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing by the church to God for him.
5. Peter, therefore, indeed, was kept in the prison, and fervent prayer was being made by the assembly unto God for him,
French Bible Translations
5. Pierre était donc gardé dans la prison et l'Eglise adressait d'ardentes prières à Dieu pour lui.
5. Pierre donc était gardé dans la prison; et l’Eglise ne cessait d’adresser pour lui des prières à Dieu.
5. Pierre donc était gardé dans la prison; et l'Eglise ne cessait d'adresser pour lui des prières à Dieu.
5. Pierre donc était gardé dans la prison; mais l'assemblée faisait d'instantes prières à Dieu pour lui.
5. Ainsi Pierre était gardé dans la prison ; mais l'Eglise faisait sans cesse des prières à Dieu pour lui.
5. Pierre était donc gardé dans la prison; mais l'Église faisait sans cesse des prières à Dieu pour lui.
German Bible Translations
5. Und Petrus ward zwar im Gefängnis gehalten; aber die Gemeinde betete ohne Aufhören für ihn zu Gott.
5. So wurde Petrus nun im Gefängnis verwahrt; von der Gemeinde aber wurde inbrünstig für ihn zu Gott gebetet.
Versions with Strong CodesActs 12 / KJV_Strong
5. Peter[G4074] therefore[G3767] was[G3303] kept[G5083] in[G1722] prison:[G5438] but[G1161] prayer[G4335] was[G2258] made[G1096] without ceasing[G1618] of[G5259] the[G3588] church[G1577] unto[G4314] God[G2316] for[G5228] him.[G846]
Strong Code definitions
G3767 oun/oon apparently a primary word; (adverbially) certainly, or (conjunctionally) accordingly:--and (so, truly), but, now (then), so (likewise then), then, therefore, verily, wherefore.
G3303 men/men a primary particle; properly, indicative of affirmation or concession (in fact); usually followed by a contrasted clause with 1161 (this one, the former, etc.):--even, indeed, so, some, truly, verily. Often compounded with other particles in an intensive or asseverative sense. see G1161
G5083 tereo/tay-reh'-o from teros (a watch; perhaps akin to G2334); to guard (from loss or injury, properly, by keeping the eye upon; and thus differing from G5442, which is properly to prevent escaping; and from G2892, which implies a fortress or full military lines of apparatus), i.e. to note (a prophecy; figuratively, to fulfil a command); by implication, to detain (in custody; figuratively, to maintain); by extension, to withhold (for personal ends; figuratively, to keep unmarried); by extension, to withhold (for personal ends; figuratively, to keep unmarried):--hold fast, keep(- er), (pre-, re-)serve, watch. see G2334 see G5442 see G2892
G1722 en/en a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:-about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition. see G1519 see G1537
G5438 phulake/foo-lak-ay' from G5442; a guarding or (concretely, guard), the act, the person; figuratively, the place, the condition, or (specially), the time (as a division of day or night), literally or figuratively:--cage, hold, (im-)prison(-ment), ward, watch. see G5442
G1161 de/deh a primary particle (adversative or continuative); but, and, etc.:--also, and, but, moreover, now (often unexpressed in English).
G1096 ginomai/ghin'-om-ahee a prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be ("gen"-erate), i.e. (reflexively) to become (come into being), used with great latitude (literal, figurative, intensive, etc.):--arise, be assembled, be(-come, -fall, -have self), be brought (to pass), (be) come (to pass), continue, be divided, draw, be ended, fall, be finished, follow, be found, be fulfilled, + God forbid, grow, happen, have, be kept, be made, be married, be ordained to be, partake, pass, be performed, be published, require, seem, be showed, X soon as it was, sound, be taken, be turned, use, wax, will, would, be wrought.
G5259 hupo/hoop-o' a primary preposition; under, i.e. (with the genitive case) of place (beneath), or with verbs (the agency or means, through); (with the accusative case) of place (whither (underneath) or where (below) or time (when (at)):--among, by, from, in, of, under, with. In the comparative, it retains the same general applications, especially of inferior position or condition, and specially, covertly or moderately.
G3588 ho/ho, including the feminine to to in all their inflections; the definite article; the (sometimes to be supplied, at others omitted, in English idiom):--the, this, that, one, he, she, it, etc.
G1577 ekklesia/ek-klay-see'-ah from a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church. see G1537 see G2564
G4314 pros/pros a strengthened form of G4253; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. toward (with the genitive case, the side of, i.e. pertaining to; with the dative case, by the side of, i.e. near to; usually with the accusative case, the place, time, occasion, or respect, which is the destination of the relation, i.e. whither or for which it is predicated):-about, according to , against, among, at, because of, before, between, (where-)by, for, X at thy house, in, for intent, nigh unto, of, which pertain to, that, to (the end that), X together, to (you) -ward, unto, with(-in). In the comparative case, it denotes essentially the same applications, namely, motion towards, accession to, or nearness at. see G4253
G2316 theos/theh'-os of uncertain affinity; a deity, especially (with 3588) the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very:--X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward). see G3588
G5228 huper/hoop-er' a primary preposition; "over", i.e. (with the genitive case) of place, above, beyond, across, or causal, for the sake of, instead, regarding; with the accusative case superior to, more than:--(+ exceeding, abundantly) above, in (on) behalf of, beyond, by, + very chiefest, concerning, exceeding (above, -ly), for, + very highly, more (than), of, over, on the part of, for sake of, in stead, than, to(-ward), very. In the comparative, it retains many of the above applications.
G846 autos/ow-tos' from the particle au (perhaps akin to the base of G109 through the idea of a baffling wind) (backward); the reflexive pronoun self, used (alone or in the comparative 1438) of the third person , and (with the proper personal pronoun) of the other persons:--her, it(-self), one, the other, (mine) own, said, (self-), the) same, ((him-, my-, thy- )self, (your-)selves, she, that, their(-s), them(-selves), there(-at, - by, -in, -into, of, -on, -with), they, (these) things, this (man), those, together, very, which. Compare 848. see G109 see G1438 see G848
Prédications où le verset / chapitre de la Bible sont analysésActes #15: Dieu souverain sur toutes les vies
Related Sermons discussing this verse or the Bible chapter Acts 12Acts #15: God is sovereign over all life (Acts 12); Patrice Berger
see also: Bible Key Verses