1. Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2. Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
3. Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
5. That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
6. Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
7. So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8. Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
10. Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
14. I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15. Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
17. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
18. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21. For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23. But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24. But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27. But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28. And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29. That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31. That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
1. Paul, an Apostle of Jesus Christ by the purpose of God, and Sosthenes the brother,
2. To the church of God which is in Corinth, to those who have been made holy in Christ Jesus, saints by the selection of God, with all those who in every place give honour to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:
3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. I give praise to my God for you at all times, because of the grace of God which has been given to you in Christ Jesus;
5. So that in him you have wealth in all things, in word and in knowledge of every sort;
6. Even as the witness of the Christ has been made certain among you:
7. So that having every grace you are living in the hope of the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ;
8. Who will give you strength to the end, to be free from all sin in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9. God is true, through whom you have been given a part with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
10. Now I make request to you, my brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you will all say the same thing, and that there may be no divisions among you, so that you may be in complete agreement, in the same mind and in the same opinion.
11. Because it has come to my knowledge, through those of the house of Chloe, that there are divisions among you, my brothers.
12. That is, that some of you say, I am of Paul; some say, I am of Apollos; some say, I am of Cephas; and some say, I am Christ's.
13. Is there a division in Christ? was Paul nailed to the cross for you? or were you given baptism in the name of Paul?
14. I give praise to God that not one of you had baptism from me, but Crispus and Gaius;
15. So that no one may be able to say that you had baptism in my name.
16. And I gave baptism to the house of Stephanas; but I am not certain that any others had baptism from me.
17. For Christ sent me, not to give baptism, but to be a preacher of the good news: not with wise words, for fear that the cross of Christ might be made of no value.
18. For the word of the cross seems foolish to those who are on the way to destruction; but to us who are on the way to salvation it is the power of God.
19. As it says in the holy Writings, I will put an end to the wisdom of the wise, and will put on one side the designs of those who have knowledge.
20. Where is the wise? where is he who has knowledge of the law? where is the man of this world who has a love of discussion? has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21. For because, by the purpose of God, the world, with all its wisdom, had not the knowledge of God, it was God's pleasure, by so foolish a thing as preaching, to give salvation to those who had faith in him.
22. Seeing that the Jews make request for signs, and the Greeks are looking for knowledge:
23. But we give the good news of Christ on the cross, a hard thing to the Jews, and a foolish thing to the Gentiles;
24. But to those of God's selection, Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power and the wisdom of God.
25. Because what seems foolish in God is wiser than men; and what seems feeble in God is stronger than men.
26. For you see God's design for you, my brothers, that he has not taken a great number of the wise after the flesh, not the strong, not the noble:
27. But God made selection of the foolish things of this world so that he might put the wise to shame; and the feeble things that he might put to shame the strong;
28. And the low things of the world, and the things without honour, did God make selection of, yes, even the things which are not, so that he might make as nothing the things which are:
29. So that no flesh might have glory before God.
30. But God has given you a place in Christ Jesus, through whom God has given us wisdom and righteousness and salvation, and made us holy:
31. So that, as it is said in the holy Writings, Whoever has a desire for glory, let his glory be in the Lord.