1. Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
3. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
4. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
5. And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.
6. The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
7. Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
8. Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
9. Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.
10. Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
11. It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
13. If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
14. Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
15. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
16. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18. Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
19. Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
20. But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
22. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
23. But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25. In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26. And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
1. So then, my child, be strong in the grace which is in Christ Jesus.
2. And the things which I have said to you before a number of witnesses, give to those of the faith, so that they may be teachers of others.
3. Be ready to do without the comforts of life, as one of the army of Christ Jesus.
4. A fighting man, when he is with the army, keeps himself free from the business of this life so that he may be pleasing to him who has taken him into his army.
5. And if a man takes part in a competition he does not get the crown if he has not kept the rules.
6. It is right for the worker in the fields to be the first to take of the fruit.
7. Give thought to what I say; for the Lord will give you wisdom in all things.
8. Keep in mind Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, who came back from the dead, as my good news gives witness:
9. In which I put up with the hardest conditions, even prison chains, like one who has done a crime; but the word of God is not in chains.
10. But I undergo all things for the saints, so that they may have salvation in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
11. This is a true saying: If we undergo death with him, then will we be living with him:
12. If we go on to the end, then we will be ruling with him: if we say we have no knowledge of him, then he will say he has no knowledge of us:
13. If we are without faith, still he keeps faith, for he will never be untrue to himself.
14. Put these things before them, giving them orders in the name of the Lord to keep themselves from fighting about words, which is of no profit, only causing error in their hearers.
15. Let it be your care to get the approval of God, as a workman who has no cause for shame, giving the true word in the right way.
16. But take no part in wrong and foolish talk, for those who do so will go farther into evil,
17. And their words will be like poisoned wounds in the flesh: such are Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18. Men whose ideas are all false, who say that the coming back from the dead has even now taken place, overturning the faith of some.
19. But God's strong base is unchanging, having this sign, The Lord has knowledge of those who are his: and, Let everyone by whom the name of the Lord is named be turned away from evil.
20. Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but others of wood and earth, and some which are honoured and some without honour.
21. If a man makes himself clean from these, he will be a vessel for honour, made holy, ready for the master's use, ready for every good work.
22. But keep yourself from those desires of the flesh which are strong when the body is young, and go after righteousness, faith, love, peace, with those whose prayers go up to the Lord from a clean heart.
23. And put away foolish and uncontrolled questionings, seeing that they are a cause of trouble.
24. For it is not right for the Lord's servant to make trouble, but he is to be gentle to all, ready in teaching, putting up with wrong,
25. Gently guiding those who go against the teaching; if by chance God may give them a change of heart and true knowledge,
26. And so they may get themselves free from the net of the Evil One, being made the prisoners of the Lord's servant, for the purpose of God.