1. And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
2. And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,
3. Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
4. But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,
5. I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:
6. Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
7. And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
8. But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
9. But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
10. And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.
11. And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
12. And the spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:
13. And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
14. Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
15. And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17. Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
18. When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
19. Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
20. And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.
21. And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.
22. Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
23. Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
24. For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
25. Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26. And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
27. And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
28. And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.
29. Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
30. Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.
1. Now the Apostles and the brothers who were in Judaea had news that the word of God had been given to the Gentiles.
2. And when Peter came to Jerusalem, those who kept the rule of circumcision had an argument with him,
3. Saying, You went to men without circumcision, and took food with them.
4. But Peter gave them an account of it all in order, saying to them,
5. I was in the town of Joppa, at prayer: and falling into a deep sleep, I saw in a vision a vessel like a great cloth let down from heaven, and it came down to me:
6. And looking on it with attention I saw in it all sorts of beasts and birds.
7. And a voice came to my ears saying, Come, Peter; take them for food.
8. But I said, No, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever come into my mouth.
9. But the voice, coming a second time from heaven, said, What God has made clean, do not you make common.
10. And this was done three times, and they were all taken up again into heaven.
11. And at that minute, three men, sent from Caesarea, came to the house where we were.
12. And the Spirit gave me orders to go with them, doubting nothing. And these six brothers came with me; and we went into that man's house:
13. And he gave us an account of how he had seen the angel in his house, saying, Send to Joppa, and get Simon, named Peter, to come to you;
14. Who will say words to you through which you and all your family may get salvation.
15. And, while I was talking to them, the Holy Spirit came on them, as on us at first.
16. And the words of the Lord came into my mind, how he said, The baptism of John was with water, but you will have baptism with the Holy Spirit.
17. If then God gave them, when they had faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the same as he gave to us, who was I to go against God?
18. And hearing these things they said nothing more, but gave glory to God, saying, Then to the Gentiles as to us has God given a change of heart, so that they may have life.
19. Then those who had gone away at the time of the trouble about Stephen, went as far as Phoenicia and Cyprus, preaching to the Jews only.
20. But some of them, men of Cyprus and Cyrene, when they came to Antioch, gave the good news about the Lord Jesus to the Greeks.
21. And the power of the Lord was with them, and a great number had faith and were turned to the Lord.
22. And news of them came to the ears of the church at Jerusalem: and they sent Barnabas as far as Antioch:
23. Who, when he came and saw the grace of God, was glad; and he made clear to them the need of keeping near the Lord with all the strength of their hearts:
24. For he was a good man and full of the Holy Spirit and of faith: and a great number were joined to the Lord.
25. Then he went on to Tarsus, looking for Saul;
26. And when he had come across him, he took him to Antioch. And they were with the church there for a year, teaching the people; and the disciples were first given the name of Christians in Antioch.
27. Now in those days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch.
28. And one of them, named Agabus, said publicly through the Spirit that there would be serious need of food all over the earth: which came about in the time of Claudius.
29. And the disciples, everyone as he was able, made a decision to send help to the brothers living in Judaea:
30. Which they did, sending it to the rulers of the church by the hand of Barnabas and Saul.