1. And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2. Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3. Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6. And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
7. That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9. Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
11. Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
12. That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13. But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17. And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.
19. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21. In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
1. And to you did he give life, when you were dead through your wrongdoing and sins,
2. In which you were living in the past, after the ways of this present world, doing the pleasure of the lord of the power of the air, the spirit who is now working in those who go against the purpose of God;
3. Among whom we all at one time were living in the pleasures of our flesh, giving way to the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and the punishment of God was waiting for us even as for the rest.
4. But God, being full of mercy, through the great love which he had for us,
5. Even when we were dead through our sins, gave us life together with Christ (by grace you have salvation),
6. So that we came back from death with him, and are seated with him in the heavens, in Christ Jesus;
7. That in the time to come he might make clear the full wealth of his grace in his mercy to us in Christ Jesus:
8. Because by grace you have salvation through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is given by God:
9. Not by works, so that no man may take glory to himself.
10. For by his act we were given existence in Christ Jesus to do those good works which God before made ready for us so that we might do them.
11. For this reason keep it in mind that in the past you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are looked on as being outside the circumcision by those who have circumcision, in the flesh, made by hands;
12. That you were at that time without Christ, being cut off from any part in Israel's rights as a nation, having no part in God's agreement, having no hope, and without God in the world.
13. But now in Christ Jesus you who at one time were far off are made near in the blood of Christ.
14. For he is our peace, who has made the two into one, and by whom the middle wall of division has been broken down,
15. Having in his flesh put an end to that which made the division between us, even the law with its rules and orders, so that he might make in himself, of the two, one new man, so making peace;
16. And that the two might come into agreement with God in one body through the cross, so putting an end to that division.
17. And he came preaching peace to you who were far off, and to those who were near;
18. Because through him the two of us are able to come near in one Spirit to the Father.
19. So then you are no longer as those who have no part or place in the kingdom of God, but you are numbered among the saints, and of the family of God,
20. Resting on the base of the Apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the chief keystone,
21. In whom all the building, rightly joined together, comes to be a holy house of God in the Lord;
22. In whom you, with the rest, are united together as a living-place of God in the Spirit.