1. The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.
2. He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.
3. And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
4. A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.
5. And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.
6. Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
7. And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.
8. Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
9. Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
10. Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?
11. How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?
12. Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.
13. When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14. And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20. Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
21. From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22. Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
24. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27. For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28. Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
1. And the Pharisees and Sadducees came and, testing him, made a request to him to give them a sign from heaven.
2. But in answer he said to them, At nightfall you say, The weather will be good, for the sky is red.
3. And in the morning, The weather will be bad today, for the sky is red and angry. You are able to see the face of heaven, but not the signs of the times.
4. An evil and false generation is searching after a sign; and no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah. And he went away from them.
5. And when the disciples came to the other side they had not taken thought to get bread.
6. And Jesus said to them, Take care to have nothing to do with the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
7. And they were reasoning among themselves, saying, We took no bread.
8. And Jesus, seeing it, said, O you of little faith, why are you reasoning among yourselves, because you have no bread?
9. Do you still not see, or keep in mind the five cakes of bread of the five thousand, and the number of baskets you took up?
10. Or the seven cakes of bread of the four thousand, and the number of baskets you took up?
11. How is it that you do not see that I was not talking to you about bread, but about keeping away from the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees?
12. Then they saw that it was not the leaven of bread which he had in mind, but the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.
13. Now when Jesus had come into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he said, questioning his disciples, Who do men say that the Son of man is?
14. And they said, Some say, John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.
15. He says to them, But who do you say that I am?
16. And Simon Peter made answer and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17. And Jesus made answer and said to him, A blessing on you, Simon Bar-jonah: because this knowledge has not come to you from flesh and blood, but from my Father in heaven.
18. And I say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock will my church be based, and the doors of hell will not overcome it.
19. I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatever is fixed by you on earth will be fixed in heaven: and whatever you make free on earth will be made free in heaven.
20. Then he gave orders to the disciples to give no man word that he was the Christ.
21. From that time Jesus went on to make clear to his disciples how he would have to go up to Jerusalem, and undergo much at the hands of those in authority and the chief priests and scribes, and be put to death, and the third day come again from the dead.
22. And Peter, protesting, said to him, Be it far from you, Lord; it is impossible that this will come about.
23. But he, turning to Peter, said, Get out of my way, Satan: you are a danger to me because your mind is not on the things of God, but on the things of men.
24. Then Jesus said to his disciples, If any man would come after me, let him give up all, and take up his cross, and come after me.
25. Because whoever has a desire to keep his life safe will have it taken from him; but whoever gives up his life because of me, will have it given back to him.
26. For what profit has a man, if he gets all the world with the loss of his life? or what will a man give in exchange for his life?
27. For the Son of man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he will give to every man the reward of his works.
28. Truly I say to you, There are some of those here who will not have a taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.