1. Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
4. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12. Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13. Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14. We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
17. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
18. My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
19. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
20. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
22. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
1. See what great love the Father has given us in naming us the children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not see who we are, because it did not see who he was.
2. My loved ones, now we are children of God, and at present it is not clear what we are to be. We are certain that at his revelation we will be like him; for we will see him as he is.
3. And everyone who has this hope in him makes himself holy, even as he is holy.
4. Everyone who is a sinner goes against the law, for sin is going against the law.
5. And you have knowledge that he came to take away sin: and in him there is no sin.
6. Anyone who is in him does no sin; anyone who is a sinner has not seen him and has no knowledge of him.
7. My little children, let no man take you out of the true way: he who does righteousness is upright, even as he is upright;
8. The sinner is a child of the Evil One; for the Evil One has been a sinner from the first. And the Son of God was seen on earth so that he might put an end to the works of the Evil One.
9. Anyone who is a child of God does no sin, because he still has God's seed in him; he is not able to be a sinner, because God is his Father.
10. In this way it is clear who are the children of God and who are the children of the Evil One; anyone who does not do righteousness or who has no love for his brother, is not a child of God.
11. Because this is the word which was given to you from the first, that we are to have love for one another;
12. Not being of the Evil One like Cain, who put his brother to death. And why did he put him to death? Because his works were evil and his brother's works were good.
13. Do not be surprised, my brothers, if the world has no love for you.
14. We are conscious that we have come out of death into life because of our love for the brothers. He who has no love is still in death.
15. Anyone who has hate for his brother is a taker of life, and you may be certain that no taker of life has eternal life in him.
16. In this we see what love is, because he gave his life for us; and it is right for us to give our lives for the brothers.
17. But if a man has this world's goods, and sees that his brother is in need, and keeps his heart shut against his brother, how is it possible for the love of God to be in him?
18. My little children, do not let our love be in word and in tongue, but let it be in act and in good faith.
19. In this way we may be certain that we are true, and may give our heart comfort before him,
20. When our heart says that we have done wrong; because God is greater than our heart, and has knowledge of all things.
21. My loved ones, if our heart does not say that we have done wrong, we have no fear before him;
22. And he gives us all our requests, because we keep his laws and do the things which are pleasing in his eyes.
23. And this is his law, that we have faith in the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love for one another, even as he said to us.
24. He who keeps his laws is in God and God is in him. And the Spirit which he gave us is our witness that he is in us.