Basic English Bible : Song of Solomon (Canticles) 8
1. Oh that you were my brother, who took milk from my mother's breasts! When I came to you in the street, I would give you kisses; yes, I would not be looked down on.
2. I would take you by the hand into my mother's house, and she would be my teacher. I would give you drink of spiced wine, drink of the pomegranate.
3. His left hand would be under my head, and his right hand about me.
4. I say to you, O daughters of Jerusalem, do not let love be moved till it is ready.
5. Who is this, who comes up from the waste places, resting on her loved one? It was I who made you awake under the apple-tree, where your mother gave you birth; there she was in pain at your birth.
6. Put me as a sign on your heart, as a sign on your arm; love is strong as death, and wrath bitter as the underworld: its coals are coals of fire; violent are its flames.
7. Much water may not put out love, or the deep waters overcome it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would be judged a price not great enough.
8. We have a young sister, and she has no breasts; what are we to do for our sister in the day when she is given to a man?
9. If she is a wall, we will make on her a strong base of silver; and if she is a door, we will let her be shut up with cedar-wood.
10. I am a wall, and my breasts are like towers; then was I in his eyes as one to whom good chance had come.
11. Solomon had a vine-garden at Baal-hamon; he let out the vine-garden to keepers; every one had to give a thousand bits of silver for its fruit.
12. My vine-garden, which is mine, is before me: you, O Solomon, will have the thousand, and those who keep the fruit of them two hundred.
13. You who have your resting-place in the gardens, the friends give ear to your voice; make me give ear to it.
14. Come quickly, my loved one, and be like a roe on the mountains of spice.