1. For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you:
2. For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.
3. Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready:
4. Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting.
5. Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
6. But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
9. (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
10. Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
11. Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.
12. For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
13. Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men;
14. And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.
15. Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
1. But there is no need for me to say anything in my letter about the giving to the saints:
2. For I have before made clear to those of Macedonia my pride in your ready mind, saying to them that Achaia has been ready for a year back; and a great number have been moved to do the same by your example.
3. But I have sent the brothers, so that the good things we said about you may be seen to be true, and that, as I said, you may be ready:
4. For fear that, if any from Macedonia come with me, and you are not ready, we (not to say, you) might be put to shame in this thing.
5. So it seemed to me wise for the brothers to go before, and see that the amount which you had undertaken to give was ready, so that it might be a cause for praise, and not as if we were making profit out of you.
6. But in the Writings it says, He who puts in only a small number of seeds, will get in the same; and he who puts them in from a full hand, will have produce in full measure from them.
7. Let every man do after the purpose of his heart; not giving with grief, or by force: for God takes pleasure in a ready giver.
8. And God is able to give you all grace in full measure; so that ever having enough of all things, you may be full of every good work:
9. As it is said in the Writings, He has sent out far and wide, he has given to the poor; his righteousness is for ever.
10. And he who gives seed for putting into the field and bread for food, will take care of the growth of your seed, at the same time increasing the fruits of your righteousness;
11. Your wealth being increased in everything, with a simple mind, causing praise to God through us.
12. For this work of giving not only takes care of the needs of the saints, but is the cause of much praise to God;
13. For when, through this work of giving, they see what you are, they give glory to God for the way in which you have given yourselves to the good news of Christ, and for the wealth of your giving to them and to all;
14. While their hearts go out to you in love and in prayer for you, because of the great grace of God which is in you.
15. Praise be to God for what he has given, which words have no power to say.