Basic English Bible : Genesis 16
1. Now Sarai, Abram's wife, had given him no children; and she had a servant, a woman of Egypt whose name was Hagar.
2. And Sarai said to Abram, See, the Lord has not let me have children; go in to my servant, for I may get a family through her. And Abram did as Sarai said.
3. So after Abram had been living for ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai took Hagar, her Egyptian servant, and gave her to Abram for his wife.
4. And he went in to Hagar and she became with child, and when she saw that she was with child, she no longer had any respect for her master's wife.
5. And Sarai said to Abram, May my wrong be on you: I gave you my servant for your wife and when she saw that she was with child, she no longer had any respect for me: may the Lord be judge between you and me.
6. And Abram said, The woman is in your power; do with her whatever seems good to you. And Sarai was cruel to her, so that she went running away from her.
7. And an angel of the Lord came to her by a fountain of water in the waste land, by the fountain on the way to Shur.
8. And he said, Hagar, Sarai's servant, where have you come from and where are you going? And she said, I am running away from Sarai, my master's wife.
9. And the angel said to her, Go back, and put yourself under her authority.
10. And the angel of the Lord said, Your seed will be greatly increased so that it may not be numbered.
11. And the angel of the Lord said, See, you are with child and will give birth to a son, to whom you will give the name Ishmael, because the ears of the Lord were open to your sorrow.
12. And he will be like a mountain ass among men; his hand will be against every man and every man's hand against him, and he will keep his place against all his brothers.
13. And to the Lord who was talking with her she gave this name, You are a God who is seen; for she said, Have I not even here in the waste land had a vision of God and am still living?
14. So that fountain was named, Fountain of Life and Vision: it is between Kadesh and Bered.
15. And Hagar gave birth to a child, the son of Abram, to whom Abram gave the name of Ishmael.
16. Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar gave birth to Ishmael.