reading for the day 21/02/2023 ; previous day - next day ; back to index ;
1. And this is the law of the offering for wrongdoing: it is most holy.
2. They are to put to death the offering for wrongdoing in the same place as the burned offering; and the priest is to put the blood on and round the altar.
3. And all the fat of it, the fat tail and the fat covering the inside parts, is to be given as an offering.
4. And the two kidneys, and the fat on them, which is by the top of the legs, and the fat joining the liver and the kidneys, he is to take away:
5. They are to be burned by the priest on the altar for an offering made by fire to the Lord: it is an offering for wrongdoing.
6. Every male among the priests may have it as food in a holy place: it is most holy.
7. As is the sin-offering, so is the offering for wrongdoing; there is one law for them: the priest who makes the offering to take away sin, he is to have it.
8. And the priest offering any man's burned offering for him, may have the skin of the burned offering which is offered by him.
9. And every meal offering which is cooked in the oven and everything made in a cooking pot or on a flat plate, is for the priest by whom it is offered.
10. And every meal offering, mixed with oil or dry, is for all the sons of Aaron in equal measure.
11. And this is the law for the peace-offerings offered to the Lord.
12. If any man gives his offering as a praise-offering, then let him give with the offering, unleavened cakes mixed with oil and thin unleavened cakes covered with oil and cakes of the best meal well mixed with oil.
13. With his peace-offering let him give cakes of leavened bread, as a praise-offering.
14. And let him give one out of every offering to be lifted up before the Lord; that it may be for the priest who puts the blood of the peace-offering on the altar.
15. And the flesh of the praise-offering is to be taken as food on the day when it is offered; no part of it may be kept till the morning.
16. But if his offering is made because of an oath or given freely, it may be taken as food on the day when it is offered; and the rest may be used up on the day after:
17. But if any of the flesh of the offering is still unused on the third day, it is to be burned with fire.
18. And if any of the flesh of the peace-offering is taken as food on the third day, it will not be pleasing to God and will not be put to the account of him who gives it; it will be unclean and a cause of sin to him who takes it as food.
19. And flesh touched by any unclean thing may not be taken for food: it is to be burned with fire; and as for the flesh of the peace-offerings, everyone who is clean may take it as food:
20. But he who is unclean when he takes as food the flesh of the peace-offerings, which are the Lord's, will be cut off from his people.
21. And anyone who, after touching any unclean thing of man or an unclean beast or any unclean and disgusting thing, takes as food the flesh of the peace-offerings, which are the Lord's, will be cut off from his people.
22. And the Lord said to Moses,
23. Say to the children of Israel: You are not to take any fat, of ox or sheep or goat, for food.
24. And the fat of that which comes to a natural death, and the fat of that which is attacked by beasts, may be used for other purposes, but not in any way for food.
25. For anyone who takes as food the fat of any beast of which men make an offering by fire to the Lord, will be cut off from his people.
26. And you are not to take for food any blood, of bird or of beast, in any of your houses.
27. Whoever takes any blood for food will be cut off from his people.
28. And the Lord said to Moses,
29. Say to the children of Israel: He who makes a peace-offering to the Lord, is to give an offering to the Lord out of his peace-offering:
30. He himself is to take to the Lord the offering made by fire, even the fat with the breast, so that the breast may be waved for a wave offering before the Lord.
31. And the fat is to be burned by the priest on the altar, but the breast is for Aaron and his sons.
32. And the right leg you are to give to the priest for an offering to be lifted up out of what is given for your peace-offerings.
33. That man, among the sons of Aaron, by whom the blood of the peace-offering and the fat are offered, is to have the right leg for his part.
34. For the breast which is waved and the right leg which is lifted up on high I have taken from the children of Israel, from their peace-offerings, and have given them to Aaron the priest and to his sons as their right for ever from the children of Israel.
35. This is the holy part given to Aaron and to his sons, out of the offerings made to the Lord by fire, on the day when they were made priests before the Lord;
36. Which the Lord said the children of Israel were to give them, on the day when he made them his priests. It is their right for ever from generation to generation.
37. These are the laws for the burned offering, the meal offering, and the offering for wrongdoing; and for the making of priests, and for the giving of peace-offerings;
38. As they were given by the Lord to Moses on Mount Sinai, on the day when the Lord gave orders to the children of Israel to make their offerings to the Lord, in the waste land of Sinai.
1. And the Lord said to Moses,
2. Take Aaron, and his sons with him, and the robes and the holy oil and the ox of the sin-offering and the two male sheep and the basket of unleavened bread;
3. And let all the people come together at the door of the Tent of meeting.
4. And Moses did as the Lord said, and all the people came together at the door of the Tent of meeting.
5. And Moses said to the people, This is what the Lord has given orders to be done.
6. Then Moses took Aaron and his sons; and after washing them with water,
7. He put the coat on him, making it tight with its band, and then the robe, and over it the ephod, with its band of needlework to keep it in place.
8. And he put the priest's bag on him, and in the bag he put the Urim and Thummim.
9. And on his head he put the head-dress, and in front of the head-dress the plate of gold, the holy crown, as the Lord gave orders to Moses.
10. And Moses took the holy oil and put it on the House and on all the things in it, to make them holy.
11. Seven times he put oil on the altar and on all its vessels, and on the washing-basin and its base, to make them holy.
12. And some of the oil he put on Aaron's head, to make him holy.
13. Then he took Aaron's sons, clothing them with the coats, and putting the bands round them, and the head-dresses on their heads, as the Lord had given him orders.
14. And he took the ox of the sin-offering: and Aaron and his sons put their hands on the head of the ox,
15. And he put it to death; and Moses took the blood and put it on the horns of the altar and round it with his finger, and made the altar clean, draining out the blood at the base of the altar; so he made it holy, taking away what was unclean.
16. And he took all the fat on the inside parts, and the fat on the liver, and the two kidneys with their fat, to be burned on the altar;
17. But the ox, with its skin and its flesh and its waste, was burned with fire outside the tent-circle, as the Lord gave orders to Moses.
18. And he put the male sheep of the burned offering before the Lord, and Aaron and his sons put their hands on its head,
19. And he put it to death; and Moses put some of the blood on and round the altar.
20. And when the sheep had been cut into parts, the head and the parts and the fat were burned by Moses.
21. And the inside parts and the legs were washed with water and all the sheep was burned by Moses on the altar; it was a burned offering for a sweet smell: it was an offering made by fire to the Lord, as the Lord gave orders to Moses.
22. And he put the other sheep before the Lord, the sheep with which they were made priests; and Aaron and his sons put their hands on the head of the sheep,
23. And he put it to death; and Moses took some of the blood and put it on the point of Aaron's right ear and on the thumb of his right hand and on the great toe of his right foot.
24. Then he took Aaron's sons, and Moses put some of the blood on the point of their right ears and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the great toes of their right feet: and Moses put the blood on and round the altar.
25. And he took the fat, and the fat tail, and the fat on the inside parts, and the fat on the liver, and the two kidneys with their fat, and the right leg;
26. And out of the basket of unleavened bread which was before the Lord he took one unleavened cake, and one cake of bread with oil on it, and one thin cake, and put them on the fat and on the right leg:
27. And he put them all on the hands of Aaron and on the hands of his sons, waving them for a wave offering before the Lord.
28. And Moses took them from their hands, and they were burned on the altar on the burned offering, as a priest's offering for a sweet smell, an offering made by fire to the Lord.
29. And Moses took the breast, waving it for a wave offering before the Lord; it was Moses' part of the sheep of the priest's offering, as the Lord gave orders to Moses.
30. And Moses took some of the holy oil and of the blood which was on the altar and put it on Aaron and on his robes, and on his sons and on his sons' robes; and made Aaron holy, and his robes and his sons and his sons' robes with him.
31. And Moses said to Aaron and to his sons, The flesh is to be cooked in water at the door of the Tent of meeting, and there you are to take it as food, together with the bread in the basket, as I have given orders, saying, It is the food of Aaron and his sons.
32. And that which is over of the flesh and of the bread is to be burned with fire.
33. And you are not to go out from the door of the Tent of meeting for seven days, till the days for making you priest are ended; for this will be the work of seven days.
34. What has been done this day, has been ordered by the Lord to take away your sin.
35. And you are to keep watch for the Lord at the door of the Tent of meeting day and night for seven days, so that death may not come to you: for so he has given me orders.
36. And Aaron and his sons did all the things about which the Lord had given orders through Moses.
1. <To the chief music-maker. A Psalm. Of the sons of Korah.> O make a glad noise with your hands, all you peoples; letting your voices go up to God with joy.
2. For the Lord Most High is to be feared; he is a great King over all the earth.
3. He will put down the peoples under us, and the nations under our feet.
4. He will give us our heritage, the glory of Jacob who is dear to him. (Selah.)
5. God has gone up with a glad cry, the Lord with the sound of the horn.
6. Give praises to God, make songs of praise; give praises to our King, make songs of praise.
7. For God is the King of all the earth; make songs of praise with knowledge.
8. God is the ruler over the nations; God is on the high seat of his holy rule.
9. The rulers of the peoples have come together, with the people of the God of Abraham; because the powers of the earth are God's: he is lifted up on high.
1. <A Song. A Psalm. Of the sons of Korah.> Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised, in the town of our God, in his holy mountain.
2. Beautiful in its high position, the joy of all the earth, is the mountain of Zion, the mountain of God, the town of the great King.
3. In its buildings God is seen to be a high tower.
4. For see! the kings came together by agreement, they were joined together.
5. They saw it, and so were full of wonder; they were troubled, and went quickly away in fear.
6. Shaking came on them and pain, as on a woman in childbirth.
7. By you the ships of Tarshish are broken as by an east wind.
8. As it came to our ears so have we seen it, in the town of the Lord of armies, in the town of our God; God will keep it fixed for ever. (Selah.)
9. Our thoughts were of your mercy, O God, while we were in your Temple.
10. As your name is, O God, so is your praise to the ends of the earth; your right hand is full of righteousness.
11. Let there be joy in the mountain of Zion, and let the daughters of Judah be glad, because of your wise decisions.
12. Make your way about Zion, and go round it, numbering its towers.
13. Take note of its strong walls, looking well at its fair buildings; so that you may give word of it to the generation which comes after.
14. Because this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide.