reading for the day 22/02/2023 ; previous day - next day ; back to index ;
1. And on the eighth day Moses sent for Aaron and his sons and the responsible men of Israel;
2. And he said to Aaron, Take a young ox for a sin-offering and a male sheep for a burned offering, without a mark, and make an offering of them before the Lord.
3. And say to the children of Israel: Take a he-goat for a sin-offering, and a young ox and a lamb, in their first year, without any mark on them, for a burned offering;
4. And an ox and a male sheep for peace-offerings, to be put to death before the Lord; and a meal offering mixed with oil: for this day you are to see the Lord.
5. And they took the things ordered by Moses, before the Tent of meeting, and all the people came near, waiting before the Lord.
6. And Moses said, This is what the Lord has said you are to do; and you will see the glory of the Lord.
7. And Moses said to Aaron, Come near to the altar and make your sin-offering and your burned offering to take away your sin and the sin of the people, and make the people's offering to take away their sin; as the Lord has given orders.
8. So Aaron came near to the altar and put to death the ox for the sin-offering for himself;
9. And the sons of Aaron gave him the blood and he put his finger in the blood and put it on the horns of the altar, draining out the blood at the base of the altar;
10. But the fat and the kidneys and the fat on the liver of the sin-offering were burned by him on the altar as the Lord gave orders to Moses.
11. And the flesh and the skin were burned with fire outside the tent-circle;
12. And he put to death the burned offering; and Aaron's sons gave him the blood and he put some of it on and round the altar;
13. And they gave him the parts of the burned offering, in their order, and the head, to be burned on the altar.
14. And the inside parts and the legs, when they had been washed with water, were burned on the burned offering on the altar.
15. And he made an offering for the people and took the goat of the sin-offering for the people and put it to death, offering it for sin, in the same way as the first.
16. And he took the burned offering, offering it in the ordered way;
17. And he put the meal offering before the Lord, and taking some of it in his hand he had it burned on the altar, separately from the burned offering of the morning.
18. And he put to death the ox and the sheep, which were the peace-offerings for the people; and Aaron's sons gave him the blood and he put some of it on and round the altar;
19. And as for the fat of the ox and the fat tail of the sheep and the fat covering the inside parts and the kidneys and the fat on the liver;
20. They put the fat on the breasts, and the fat was burned on the altar.
21. And Aaron took the breasts and the right leg, waving them for a wave offering before the Lord, as Moses gave orders.
22. And Aaron, lifting up his hands to the people, gave them a blessing; and he came down from offering the sin-offering, and the burned offering, and the peace-offerings.
23. And Moses and Aaron went into the Tent of meeting, and came out and gave the people a blessing, and the glory of the Lord was seen by all the people.
24. And fire came out from before the Lord, burning up the offering on the altar and the fat: and when all the people saw it, they gave a loud cry, falling down on their faces.
1. And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their vessels and put fire in them and perfume, burning strange fire before the Lord, which he had not given them orders to do.
2. And fire came out from before the Lord, burning them up and causing their destruction before the Lord.
3. Then Moses said to Aaron, This is what the Lord said, I will be holy in the eyes of all those who come near to me, and I will be honoured before all the people. And Aaron said nothing.
4. And Moses sent for Mishael and Elzaphan, the sons of Uzziel, the brother of Aaron's father, and said to them, Come near and take your brothers away from before the holy place, outside the tent-circle.
5. So they came and took them, in their coats, outside the tent-circle, as Moses had said.
6. And Moses said to Aaron and to Eleazar and Ithamar, his sons, Do not let your hair be loose, and give no signs of grief; so that death may not overtake you, and his wrath come on all the people; but let there be weeping among your brothers and all the house of Israel for this burning of the Lord's fire.
7. And do not go out from the door of the Tent of meeting, or death will come to you; for the holy oil of the Lord is on you. And they did as Moses said.
8. And the Lord said to Aaron:
9. Take no wine, or strong drink, you or your sons with you, when you go into the Tent of meeting, that it may not be the cause of death to you; this is an order for ever through all your generations.
10. And make a division between the holy and the common, and between the unclean and the clean;
11. Teaching the children of Israel all the laws which the Lord has given them by the hand of Moses.
12. And Moses said to Aaron and to Eleazar and Ithamar, his sons who were still living, Take the rest of the meal offering from the offerings of the Lord made by fire, and take it for your food, without leaven, at the side of the altar, for it is most holy.
13. It is to be for your food in a holy place, because it is your right and your sons' right, from the offerings of the Lord made by fire: for so am I ordered.
14. And the breast which is waved and the leg which is lifted up on high, you are to take as your food in a clean place; you and your sons and your daughters with you: for they are given to you as your right and your sons' right, from the peace-offerings of the children of Israel.
15. Let them take the breast which is waved and the leg which is lifted up on high, with the fat of the burned offering, to be waved for a wave offering before the Lord; and this will be for you and for your sons with you, for a right for ever, as the Lord has given orders.
16. And Moses was looking for the goat of the sin-offering, but it was burned; and he was angry with Eleazar and Ithamar, the sons of Aaron, who were still living, saying,
17. Why did you not make a meal of the sin-offering in the holy place? For it is most holy and he has given it to you, so that the sin of the people may be put on it, to take away their sin before the Lord.
18. See, its blood was not taken into the holy place: certainly it was right for you to have taken it as food in the holy place, as I gave orders.
19. And Aaron said to Moses, You have seen that today they have made their sin-offering and their burned offering before the Lord, and such things as these have come on me. If I had taken the sin-offering as food today, would it have been pleasing to the Lord?
20. And after hearing this, Moses was no longer angry.
1. <Alamoth. To the chief music-maker. Of the sons of Korah. A Psalm.> Give attention to this, all you peoples; let your ears be open, all you who are living in the world.
2. High and low together, the poor, and those who have wealth.
3. From my mouth will come words of wisdom; and in the thoughts of my heart will be knowledge.
4. I will put my teaching into a story; I will make my dark sayings clear with music.
5. What cause have I for fear in the days of evil, when the evil-doing of those who are working for my downfall is round about me?
6. Even of those whose faith is in their wealth, and whose hearts are lifted up because of their stores.
7. Truly, no man may get back his soul for a price, or give to God the payment for himself;
8. (Because it takes a great price to keep his soul from death, and man is not able to give it.)
9. So that he might have eternal life, and never see the underworld.
10. For he sees that wise men come to their end, and foolish persons of low behaviour come to destruction together, letting their wealth go to others.
11. The place of the dead is their house for ever, and their resting-place through all generations; those who come after them give their names to their lands.
12. But man, like the animals, does not go on for ever; he comes to an end like the beasts.
13. This is the way of the foolish; their silver is for those who come after them, and their children get the pleasure of their gold. (Selah.)
14. Death will give them their food like sheep; the underworld is their fate and they will go down into it; their flesh is food for worms; their form is wasted away; the underworld is their resting-place for ever.
15. But God will get back my soul; for he will take me from the power of death. (Selah.)
16. Have no fear when wealth comes to a man, and the glory of his house is increased;
17. For at his death, he will take nothing away; his glory will not go down after him.
18. Though he might have pride in his soul in his life-time, and men will give you praise if you do well for yourself,
19. He will go to the generation of his fathers; he will not see the light again.
20. Man, like the animals, does not go on for ever; he comes to an end like the beasts.