reading for the day 06/01/2023 ; previous day - next day ; back to index ;
1. And God gave his blessing to Noah and his sons, and said, Be fertile, and have increase, and make the earth full.
2. And the fear of you will be strong in every beast of the earth and every bird of the air; everything which goes on the land, and all the fishes of the sea, are given into your hands.
3. Every living and moving thing will be food for you; I give them all to you as before I gave you all green things.
4. But flesh with the life-blood in it you may not take for food.
5. And for your blood, which is your life, will I take payment; from every beast I will take it, and from every man will I take payment for the blood of his brother-man.
6. Whoever takes a man's life, by man will his life be taken; because God made man in his image.
7. And now, be fertile and have increase; have offspring on the earth and become great in number.
8. And God said to Noah and to his sons,
9. Truly, I will make my agreement with you and with your seed after you,
10. And with every living thing with you, all birds and cattle and every beast of the earth which comes out of the ark with you.
11. And I will make my agreement with you; never again will all flesh be cut off by the waters; never again will the waters come over all the earth for its destruction.
12. And God said, This is the sign of the agreement which I make between me and you and every living thing with you, for all future generations:
13. I will put my bow in the cloud and it will be for a sign of the agreement between me and the earth.
14. And whenever I make a cloud come over the earth, the bow will be seen in the cloud,
15. And I will keep in mind the agreement between me and you and every living thing; and never again will there be a great flow of waters causing destruction to all flesh.
16. And the bow will be in the cloud, and looking on it, I will keep in mind the eternal agreement between God and every living thing on the earth.
17. And God said to Noah, This is the sign of the agreement which I have made between me and all flesh on the earth.
18. And the sons of Noah who went out of the ark were Shem, Ham, and Japheth; and Ham is the father of Canaan.
19. These three were the sons of Noah and from them all the earth was peopled.
20. In those days Noah became a farmer, and he made a vine-garden.
21. And he took of the wine of it and was overcome by drink; and he was uncovered in his tent.
22. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father unclothed, and gave news of it to his two brothers outside.
23. And Shem and Japheth took a robe, and putting it on their backs went in with their faces turned away, and put it over their father so that they might not see him unclothed.
24. And, awaking from his wine, Noah saw what his youngest son had done to him, and he said,
25. Cursed be Canaan; let him be a servant of servants to his brothers.
26. And he said, Praise to the Lord, the God of Shem; let Canaan be his servant.
27. May God make Japheth great, and let his living-place be in the tents of Shem, and let Canaan be his servant.
28. And Noah went on living three hundred and fifty years after the great flow of waters;
29. all the years of his life were nine hundred and fifty: and he came to his end.
1. Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: these are the sons which they had after the great flow of waters
2. The sons of Japheth: Gomer and Magog and Madai and Javan and Tubal and Meshech and Tiras.
3. And the sons of Gomer: Ashkenaz and Riphath and Togarmah.
4. And the sons of Javan: Elishah and Tarshish, the Kittim and the Dodanim.
5. From these came the nations of the sea-lands, with their different families and languages.
6. And the sons of Ham: Cush and Mizraim and Put and Canaan.
7. And the sons of Cush: Seba and Havilah and Sabtah and Raamah and Sabteca; and the sons of Raamah: Sheba and Dedan.
8. And Cush was the father of Nimrod, who was the first of the great men of the earth.
9. He was a very great bowman, so that there is a saying, Like Nimrod, a very great bowman.
10. And at the first, his kingdom was Babel and Erech and Accad and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
11. From that land he went out into Assyria, building Nineveh with its wide streets and Calah,
12. And Resen between Nineveh and Calah, which is a very great town.
13. And Mizraim was the father of the Ludim and Anamim and Lehabim and Naphtuhim;
14. And Pathrusim and Casluhim and Caphtorim, from whom came the Philistines.
15. And Canaan was the father of Zidon, who was his oldest son, and Heth,
16. And the Jebusite and the Amorite and the Girgashite,
17. And the Hivite and the Arkite and the Sinite,
18. And the Arvadite and the Zemarite and the Hamathite; after that the families of the Canaanites went far and wide in all directions;
19. Their country stretching from Zidon to Gaza, in the direction of Gerar; and to Lasha, in the direction of Sodom and Gomorrah and Admah and Zeboiim.
20. All these, with their different families, languages, lands, and nations, are the offspring of Ham.
21. And Shem, the older brother of Japheth, the father of the children of Eber, had other sons in addition.
22. These are the sons of Shem: Elam and Asshur and Arpachshad and Lud and Aram.
23. And the sons of Aram: Uz and Hul and Gether and Mash.
24. And Arpachshad became the father of Shelah; and Shelah became the father of Eber.
25. And Eber had two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, because in his time the peoples of the earth became separate; and his brother's name was Joktan.
26. And Joktan was the father of Almodad and Sheleph and Hazarmaveth and Jerah
27. And Hadoram and Uzal and Diklah
28. And Obal and Abimael and Sheba
29. And Ophir and Havilah and Jobab; all these were the sons of Joktan.
30. And their country was from Mesha, in the direction of Sephar, the mountain of the east.
31. These, with their families and their languages and their lands and their nations, are the offspring of Shem.
32. These are the families of the sons of Noah, in the order of their generations and their nations: from these came all the nations of the earth after the great flow of waters.
1. Take care not to do your good works before men, to be seen by them; or you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2. When then you give money to the poor, do not make a noise about it, as the false-hearted men do in the Synagogues and in the streets, so that they may have glory from men. Truly, I say to you, They have their reward.
3. But when you give money, let not your left hand see what your right hand does:
4. So that your giving may be in secret; and your Father, who sees in secret, will give you your reward.
5. And when you make your prayers, be not like the false-hearted men, who take pleasure in getting up and saying their prayers in the Synagogues and at the street turnings so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward.
6. But when you make your prayer, go into your private room, and, shutting the door, say a prayer to your Father in secret, and your Father, who sees in secret, will give you your reward.
7. And in your prayer do not make use of the same words again and again, as the Gentiles do: for they have the idea that God will give attention to them because of the number of their words.
8. So be not like them; because your Father has knowledge of your needs even before you make your requests to him.
9. Let this then be your prayer: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.
10. Let your kingdom come. Let your pleasure be done, as in heaven, so on earth.
11. Give us this day bread for our needs.
12. And make us free of our debts, as we have made those free who are in debt to us.
13. And let us not be put to the test, but keep us safe from the Evil One.
14. For if you let men have forgiveness for their sins, you will have forgiveness from your Father in heaven.
15. But if you do not let men have forgiveness for their sins, you will not have forgiveness from your Father for your sins.
16. And when you go without food, be not sad-faced as the false-hearted are. For they go about with changed looks, so that men may see that they are going without food. Truly I say to you, They have their reward.
17. But when you go without food, put oil on your head and make your face clean;
18. So that no one may see that you are going without food, but your Father in secret; and your Father, who sees in secret, will give you your reward.
19. Make no store of wealth for yourselves on earth, where it may be turned to dust by worms and weather, and where thieves may come in by force and take it away.
20. But make a store for yourselves in heaven, where it will not be turned to dust and where thieves do not come in to take it away:
21. For where your wealth is, there will your heart be.
22. The light of the body is the eye; if then your eye is true, all your body will be full of light.
23. But if your eye is evil, all your body will be dark. If then the light which is in you is dark, how dark it will be!
24. No man is able to be a servant to two masters: for he will have hate for the one and love for the other, or he will keep to one and have no respect for the other. You may not be servants of God and of wealth.
25. So I say to you, Take no thought for your life, about food or drink, or about clothing for your body. Is not life more than food, and the body more than its clothing?
26. See the birds of heaven; they do not put seeds in the earth, they do not get in grain, or put it in store-houses; and your Father in heaven gives them food. Are you not of much more value than they?
27. And which of you by taking thought is able to make himself a cubit taller?
28. And why are you troubled about clothing? See the flowers of the field, how they come up; they do no work, they make no thread:
29. But I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these.
30. But if God gives such clothing to the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is put into the oven, will he not much more give you clothing, O you of little faith?
31. Then do not be full of care, saying, What are we to have for food or drink? or, With what may we be clothed?
32. Because the Gentiles go in search of all these things: for your Father in heaven has knowledge that you have need of all these things:
33. But let your first care be for his kingdom and his righteousness; and all these other things will be given to you in addition.
34. Then have no care for tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Take the trouble of the day as it comes.